Oily Skin: Characteristics and Care Tips
That icky and sticky feeling of having oily skin is definitely not fun. Oily skin is characterized by an overproduction of sebum, the skin’s natural oil. If you have oily skin, your skin will appear shiny and is prone to acne breakouts.
Characteristics of oily skin:
- Excess oil production: Oily skin produces more sebum than needed, leaving your skin looking shiny and greasy.
- Enlarged pores: Due to the increased sebum production, oily skin tends to have larger and more visible pores.
- Acne-prone skin: Due to the excess production of oils, your pores are more easily clogged, leading to acne, whiteheads, and blackheads.
- Makeup doesn’t stay in place: Oily skin will make it hard for your makeup to stay fresh for long periods of time. When you apply makeup, it might look like its clumping up or wiping off easily and your skin will look oilier than normal.
- Cleanse, cleanse, cleanse!! Wash your face daily, no more than twice a day, with a gentle cleanser to remove excess oil, dirt, and impurities from the skin. Harsh chemicals and cleansers can strip the skin of natural oils, triggering even more oil production from the skin. We definitely don’t want that. Our Aloe Face Wash is a great gentle cleanser that cleans the skin while also hydrating, preventing your skin from drying out. Made with clean ingredients, this cleanser won’t strip your skin of its natural oils either.
- Avoid over-washing: As mentioned, over-washing your face or using harsh cleaning cleansers will train your skin to produce extra oils to make up for the lost moisture. Stick to washing your face no more than two times a day. Ideally, you want to wash it once in the morning and once right before bed for best results
- Exfoliate: Regular exfoliation of the skin will remove clogged pores and dead skin cells from your face, allowing for moisture to seep through the skin and into your pores. Make sure that once you exfoliate, you moisturize your skin to prevent drying out your skin and extra oil production.
- MOISTURIZE!! Although you might feel like you should stop moisturizing your face altogether, doing that will only make your oily skin more oily. Instead, opt for a gentle, clean, and cooling moisturizer such as our Aloe Vera Daily Gel Moisturizer. This will ensure that your skin is hydrated and has the right nutrients to produce the right amount of oil, thus appearing less greasy and reaching the proper moisture balance.
- Use a toner! Toner might seem like a step you can skip. However, toner makes sure that you clean your skin and pores while giving your skin a hydration boost to ensure that your skin is getting the right amount of moisture. Our Aloe Vera Toner is infused with Witch Hazel which removes impurities while balancing your skin’s pH.
Best products for oily skin: Our Aloe Vera 8 Piece Skincare Set